Thankfully Reading Weekend 2012: Day 2 Challenge

It’s day two of Thankfully Reading Weekend!  How did everyone do yesterday? Full stomachs, plenty of reading time…sounds like bliss to me! I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to a day of reading at home, avoiding the retail madness!

For today’s challenge, I invite you to write about the book you are most thankful for this year. Is it a book written by one of your favorite authors or one you just happened to come upon? Tell us about it!  Include a link to your post below (or if you don’t have a blog, tell us about the book in the comments.

The winner of this challenge will win three books I’ve been most thankful for recently. They include:

Man in the Blue Moon by Michael Morris
Brain on Fire by Susanna Cahalan (galley)
The Trial of Fallen Angels by James Kimmel (galley)

Don’t forget to check out Jennifer’s Thankfully Reading Recipe Challenge! Enter to win a hand-crocheted eReader cover!

13 Comments to "Thankfully Reading Weekend 2012: Day 2 Challenge"

1. Jessica's Gravatar Jessica
    November 23, 2012 - 7:13 AM | Permalink

I’m most thankful for THIS IS HOW YOU LOSE HER by Junot Diaz. I was thrilled to get an ARC and discover its awesomeness before it appeared in bookstores.

2. Katie's Gravatar Katie
    November 23, 2012 - 9:25 AM | Permalink

I am most thankful this year for TINY BEAUTIFUL THINGS by Cheryl Strayed. I had no idea how powerful a little book could be. I’ve been saving WILD because I know I’ll love it!

3. November 23, 2012 - 11:55 AM | Permalink

I’m thankful for The Twilight Saga. It got me reading again and led me to publish 3 books!

4. Riki's Gravatar Riki
    Twitter: Missriki7
    November 23, 2012 - 1:03 PM | Permalink

I ammost thankful for The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It’s been a long time since a book grabbed me in such a visceral manner. I fell in love with the characters and was turning pages until the book was devoured in one sitting. Then I opened it to savor it again. I LOVED this book!

5. Farin's Gravatar Farin
    Twitter: miss_farin
    November 23, 2012 - 2:01 PM | Permalink

I’m thankful for everything I’ve read!

But if I must narrow it down, I am thankful for the Maisie Dobbs series for its moving and incredibly human stories and for its bright and brave heroine. I’m thankful for Deborah Harkness’s All Souls trilogy for masterfully mixing history, romance, and the supernatural. I’m thankful for Overseas by Beatriz Williams for reminding me what an epic love story is all about (and her sassy sister Juliana Gray for making romance fun).

6. rhonda's Gravatar rhonda
    November 23, 2012 - 2:14 PM | Permalink

I am thankful for lifeboat charlette rogan.happy holidays!!

7. November 23, 2012 - 3:05 PM | Permalink

This was a great challenge! Made me think!

8. Patti Smith's Gravatar Patti Smith
    Twitter: PattiRSmith
    November 23, 2012 - 10:49 PM | Permalink

I’m thankful for The Chaperone on audio bc it’s so difficult for me to find great audiobooks…Elizabeth McGovern is just the best! I’m also thankful for the first book I’ve finished this weekend (Notorious Nineteen)…just a simple, funny back to the basics Stephanie Plum read…perfect for a quiet restful Friday :)

9. Bookmagic's Gravatar Bookmagic
    Twitter: bookmagicdeb
    November 23, 2012 - 11:36 PM | Permalink

Today I am most thankful for Peter Geye’s The Lighthouse Road. I read his first book, Safe From the Sea not long after it was published and I knew this was an author I would follow.

10. Bookmagic's Gravatar Bookmagic
    Twitter: bookmagicdeb
    November 23, 2012 - 11:39 PM | Permalink

For this year, I am most thankful for Tell The Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. I think it was the best or at least top five books I read this year, really an amazing novel

11. Nneerraakk's Gravatar Nneerraakk
    Twitter: Nneerraakk
    November 24, 2012 - 1:41 AM | Permalink

Paper Trails-Mandy Haggith
    Non fiction about the paper industry and our environment. This is the book this year thatmade me change my buying habits. Simply written it tells of the major players unwillingness to alter their production to help retain the forestrywe need. Now, when I hear an ad saying that 3 trees are planted for every pack of loo rolls bought I realise they’re likely to be 3 identical ones with no thought of ecosystem. I buy at least fsc paper books and recycled everything else. Congratulations to Mandy Haggith for making the points so clearly

12. Serena's Gravatar Serena
    Twitter: SavvyVerseWit
    November 24, 2012 - 8:39 PM | Permalink

I’ll be posting about all the challenges, etc. tomorrow. But here’s what book I’m most thankful for:

Thrall by Natasha Trethewey because it made me think about race and father-daughter relationships in a new way. I loved that she used paintings and other artwork to illustrate her points, but that she also drew on the more personal aspects of father-daughter relationships. And when you hear her read in person, you can just feel the emotion of these poems. It has inspired me to find more books that move me in that way and to write poetry that will carry a more emotional rather than theoretical weight.

13. Leslie's Gravatar Leslie
    Twitter: undermyappletre
    November 25, 2012 - 10:44 AM | Permalink

If I had to pick just one book to be thankful for (and there are a few to choose from), it would be my science fiction “spark book”, the book that introduced me to the world of science fiction and fantasy and set in motion a life-long obsession with time travel stories: A Wrinkle in Time. Unfortunately I don’t remember who introduced me to the book, but I am grateful.

3 Trackbacks to "Thankfully Reading Weekend 2012: Day 2 Challenge"

1. on November 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM