Introducing: Mother & Son Book Club

MotherSonBookClubOne of the many ways my son & I connect is through books. While he goes through phases when he’s lost interest in reading, when he does discover a book he’s loved I’m the first one to know.  This is something I want to nurture: the relationship he and I have together surrounding books.  In many cases, if he tells me about a book he’s interested in, I end up reading it myself simply because I enjoy the discussion it fuels.   Then I started thinking that there are certainly other mothers & sons out there that do this.  I did a little research online and couldn’t find many mother/son book clubs out there, at least ones that are virtual.  And, what happens when I start thinking? New project suddenly appear!

I would love for others to get involved and join.  I’m still working out all the logistics (like types of books to read, etc.) but to start off I’d simply like to get an indication of interest!  If you are interested in participating, please indicate so in the comments below.  My boys are 8 and 14 so this book club would focus on middle grade/early young adult titles.  Also, if you have any suggestions on book selections, please feel free to include those as well.

Since school has just started for many, the plan would be to start reading the book at the end of September and discuss it at the end of October and repeat for subsequent months. Discussion will take place here on the blog at first, via comments,and eventually moving it to Twitter or Facebook as the interest grows. Starting off at least, let’s keep it simple!

EDIT: To make it easier to collect information for those interested in participated, I have created a simple form below. Please use this in addition to commenting!

17 Comments to "Introducing: Mother & Son Book Club"

1. Teresa's Gravatar Teresa
    Twitter: teresasreading
    September 5, 2013 - 4:24 PM | Permalink

I was thinking about your tweet earlier today as I walked over my lunch and about my comment about how I can’t wait to do this with my monkey. Then it occurred to me, why wait? He’s 5 so he may be a bit young for the titles you’ll be choosing… He enjoys early chapter books with a simple premise so it might work to be part of your group depending on the topic of a particular titles. Whether part of this group, or on our own I think we are going to pick a book that is just for him and I.

2. September 5, 2013 - 4:30 PM | Permalink

My 9yo would love this! WONDER is our favorite novel together (great for discussions; I think I’ve given away at least ten copies). THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN was interesting. Most recently, he’s also loved the LAND OF STORIES series by Chris Colfer from Glee (imagined backstories of classic fairytales) and is currently hooked on the PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS series (prequels leading to the Peter Pan classic). Hope that helps!

3. September 5, 2013 - 6:08 PM | Permalink

Jenn, I couldn’t agree more. I read the book out loud to my sons earlier this year and the story made us laugh, cry, and cheer. Hands down the best literary experience we’ve shared together. (i always tell people it’s like the movie Mask — with Cher and Eric Stoltz, remember? — but for kids.) :)

4. September 5, 2013 - 6:14 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! My son is too young for this yet, but I’ll tell my friends about it.

5. September 5, 2013 - 6:32 PM | Permalink

That’s awesome! My son asked if he could meet her one day — I’m really hoping he gets that chance. (Tushman jokes still linger in our house.)

6. September 5, 2013 - 9:06 PM | Permalink

I have a 9 year old nephew and would love to do this with him – he loves reading and I love discussing those we have both read!

7. September 5, 2013 - 11:14 PM | Permalink

I would love to join! My son is 7, so perhaps a little young, but we’re game! We are currently reading Kevin Henkes’ The Year of Billy Miller, which is out later this month and which we are loving!

8. Tif's Gravatar Tif
    Twitter: tiftalksbooks
    September 6, 2013 - 11:26 AM | Permalink

I love this idea! Do I have to include my son’s name on the form though? I prefer not to share my kids’ names online.

9. Tif's Gravatar Tif
    Twitter: tiftalksbooks
    September 7, 2013 - 11:15 AM | Permalink

Thanks Jenn!! :)

10. September 9, 2013 - 6:12 PM | Permalink

What a wonderful idea! My son is now 20 but I’d like to think I did a decent job fostering his appreciation for reading. Now he is of the age I can recommend current reads and my favorites. I actually made a summer reading list for him of what I consider “must reads” and hope he will get to it eventually.

11. world crawl miami november 28 november 28's Gravatar world crawl miami november 28 november 28
    November 22, 2013 - 6:15 AM | Permalink

Awesome post.

12. Kermit's Gravatar Kermit
    November 24, 2013 - 6:12 AM | Permalink

When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the thought of a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    So that’s why this piece of writing is great.
    Thanks!

13. Comedy Pet Theater's Gravatar Comedy Pet Theater
    November 24, 2013 - 11:58 PM | Permalink

I love what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and reporting!

Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.

1 Trackback to "Introducing: Mother & Son Book Club"

1. on November 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM