Celebrate Independent Bookstores! #IndieThursday is Born!

For any of you who follow on me on Twitter, you’ve seen my recent soap-box sermons on shopping at independent bookstores. Now that Borders is closing for good, now is the time to really embrace your local independent bookstore!

I’ve been trying to think of a way to get more people inspired to shop locally.  What’s the best way to get the word across? Social media, of course!

Author Ryan Jacobson suggested a fantastic idea; creating a twitter event, one day a week, in which book lovers tweet about what book they bought at an indie that week. Fantastic idea, yes?  Thinking of all the various events on Twitter (Follow Friday, Friday Reads, Writer Wednesday, etc.) I had to pick a day of the week not already taken.  And so…#indieThursday was born!

Each Thursday, tweet about the book you recently purchased at your local independent bookstore.  Be sure to mention the name of the store and use the hashtag #indieThursday! Even better, take a picture of yourself with the book at your independent bookstore! Ebooks count as well, as long as you purchased it through and independent bookstore!

Then, the following day, don’t forget to tweet what you are reading, using the #Fridayreads hashtag!

You don’t need to have read the book yet in order to tweet about it! If this event becomes popular enough, I’ll even contemplate giving away prizes, i.e. giftcards to independent bookstores, indiebound gear, etc.

Need to find a local indie in your area? Check out indiebound.org, which lists independent bookstores based on address or zip code! Don’t have a indie bookstore close to you? Several independent bookstores have online stores!

So, go forth & shop indie!

8 Comments to "Celebrate Independent Bookstores! #IndieThursday is Born!"

1. Dawn - She Is Too Fond of Books's Gravatar Dawn - She Is Too Fond of Books
    Twitter: toofondofbooks
    July 27, 2011 - 7:36 PM | Permalink

Fantastic idea, Jenn! I’ll be posting my most recent #indieThursday purchases tomorrow :)

2. bermudaonion (Kathy)'s Gravatar bermudaonion (Kathy)
    Twitter: bermudaonion
    July 27, 2011 - 7:42 PM | Permalink

Great idea! I just bought some books yesterday at my local indie, so I’ll be tweeting!

3. July 27, 2011 - 9:09 PM | Permalink

Great idea Jenn! Thanks for giving me another excuse to buy books!

4. Beth F's Gravatar Beth F
    Twitter: BethFishReads
    July 28, 2011 - 7:44 AM | Permalink

YAYAYAYAY great idea. I just bought a couple of books at Powell’s!

5. Jennifer-Girls Gone Reading's Gravatar Jennifer-Girls Gone Reading
    Twitter: girlsgonereadin
    July 28, 2011 - 11:10 AM | Permalink

Love this idea. If you can think of a way for those of us who live nowhere near an indie can participate/support too that would be great.

6. Kelly Kegans's Gravatar Kelly Kegans
    Twitter: BiblioFiles1
    July 29, 2011 - 7:02 PM | Permalink

Love this idea–thanks for starting this! So sorry to have missed the launch yesterday (esp. b/c I DID buy a book at an indie store this week: Piragis Northwoods Company’s indie bookstore in Ely, MN). Happily, I know I’ll be shopping another indie bookstore very soon.

7. Rebecca @ Bookmans's Gravatar Rebecca @ Bookmans
    Twitter: bookmans
    August 3, 2011 - 1:53 PM | Permalink

I’m the online content coordinator for Bookmans, an independent local bookstore in Arizona. We’ll cough up a $50 gift certificate for one of our six stores. Our online store isn’t quite ready for prime time yet, so the winner would have to be able to hit up our stores in Tucson, Phoenix, Mesa or Flagstaff. Are you game?