Kicking Off Audio Book Week: Why Audio Books?

Jen from Devourer of Books is hosting an audio book week this week!  Each day, there is a discussion topic.  Today’s topic: Why audiobooks?

I have a 35 minute commute to work each day. Living in the DC metro area, traffic is very stressful.  I used to listen to the radio on my commute, but why would I want to listen about constant traffic updates when I’m stuck in traffic?  Around the same time, the latest Harry Potter book was due to be released.  I wanted to reread the previous book so I’d be all caught up, but I knew with my busy family life that wasn’t going to happen. So I went to my library and checked out the audio book instead.  I figured I’d be able to finish the audio within a week, just in time for the release of the next book.

My world changed when I put in the first CD.  I was instantly taken into a new world, a relaxing, calming oasis away from my crazy, traffic-ridden commute. First off, the narrator of the Harry Potter audiobooks, Jim Dale, is phenomenal.  He mimics the voices of the characters so well.  His voice for Hagrid is spot-on! After listening to that audiobook, I decided to go back to listen to them all.  It was like Jim was sitting in the seat next to me, reading to me as I drove.

That was a few years ago now.  I listen to an audio book whenever I’m driving, and that’s pretty often. I constantly find myself sitting in my car, outside my house or outside work, refusing to go in because I don’t want to stop listening.  I’ve been able to catch up with several book series. Right now I’m listening to Lee Child’s Reacher series. I started just a few months ago and I’m already wrapping up book ten.  I listened to Marsden’s Tomorrow series.

I now look forward to my commute each day.  Call me crazy..crazy about audiobooks!

Do you listen to audios? Why or why not?

Be sure to check out Jen’s blog this week.  Find out about the daily post topics and the dozens of giveaways Jen has planned! Most importantly, celebrate audio books!

12 Comments to "Kicking Off Audio Book Week: Why Audio Books?"

1. Howard Sherman's Gravatar Howard Sherman
    Twitter: howardasherman
    June 21, 2010 - 9:15 AM | Permalink

I’ve been a fan of audio books for a couple of years now. I don’t commute but I do drive around town on errands and what not and the time passes so much more pleasantly with audio books than the doom-and-gloom of news on the radio, debt repair commercials and other assaults on my ears.

Some may say “Well yes Howard, but you can subscribe to Siruius Satellite Radio and get dozens and dozens of quality, commercial free radio.”

And to that my reply would be “Yes, but I can subscribe to Audible and listen to dozens and dozens of audio books every month for about the same money.”

When I park the car and head into the the gym my 1.5 hour thrice-weekly workout breezes along with audio books on my iPhone.

I’ve even starting cutting my own grass and doing my own landscaping. The $200 per month in savings is nice but listening to an audio book while I push the lawn mower and trim the bushes makes is even nicer – baking in the blazing sun not withstanding.

2. Heather J.'s Gravatar Heather J.
    Twitter: age30books
    June 21, 2010 - 9:35 AM | Permalink

I am a HUGE audiobook fan, but I think you know that already. :)

And did you realize that Jim Dale is the actor from the old Disney movie “Pete’s Dragon”? He’s the one who plays the quack professor. LOL

3. June 21, 2010 - 9:43 AM | Permalink

I also love listening to audiobooks. Since I’ve moved out of town a bit my commute can be 15-20 minutes each way, which isn’t too much but I found that since I’ve started listening to books it’s much more enjoyable. I’ve also started listening to books that I probably wouldn’t read and actually like a few. But I think the biggest plus is that I get to experience so many more books that I probably wouldn’t have had time for before.

4. Jen - Devourer of Books's Gravatar Jen - Devourer of Books
    Twitter: devourerofbooks
    June 21, 2010 - 11:18 AM | Permalink

I’m totally with you on looking forward to my commute in a way I probably shouldn’t, just so I can spend some time with my audiobooks.

5. Colleen's Gravatar Colleen
    Twitter: Lavender_Lines
    June 21, 2010 - 11:43 AM | Permalink

I’ve never listened to an audio book before. I’m not sure why. It’s one of those things I keep saying I’m going to try and never do. Maybe this week will be the week. :0)

6. Jen-Girls Gone Reading's Gravatar Jen-Girls Gone Reading
    Twitter: girlsgonereadin
    June 21, 2010 - 11:46 AM | Permalink

I don’t get to listen to audiobooks the way I used to. My commute went from 45 mins to 5…not a lot of time to spend with a book. As a teacher, I also can’t listen to them at work! I do love the Harry Potter series on audiobook because of Jim Dale. He is fantastic!

7. June 21, 2010 - 12:01 PM | Permalink

Jim Dale is just awesome! I’ve also listened to Peter and the Starcatchers which I believe was read by him. I love audiobooks, but I am horrible at listening while driving for some reason.

8. Beth F's Gravatar Beth F
    Twitter: BethFishReads
    June 21, 2010 - 12:35 PM | Permalink

I can’t even go shopping without an audiobook in my ears!

9. Carina's Gravatar Carina
    Twitter: readthroughlife
    June 21, 2010 - 1:26 PM | Permalink

I definitely hear you! I fell in love with it the same way after listening to my first audiobook, and can’t imagine commuting without it now.

10. June 21, 2010 - 2:44 PM | Permalink

I got hooked on audio books on car trips – now I listen when I walk the dog, do housework, cook, etc.

11. June 21, 2010 - 9:15 PM | Permalink

I love audio books as well and have been listening to them for about (10) years. I think my first audio books were ones by Anne Tyler or Barbara Kingsolver, and James Patterson. It’s easy to multi-task and enjoy a book, so what a reader’s dream :)

12. Sheila DeChantal's Gravatar Sheila DeChantal
    Twitter: bookjourney
    June 21, 2010 - 11:41 PM | Permalink

That’s funny you mention Hagrid, I thought he sounded just like him too! Harry Potter audio certainly is holding a warm spot in my heart!

1 Trackback to "Kicking Off Audio Book Week: Why Audio Books?"

1. on July 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM