Waiting on Wednesday: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan

“Waiting On” Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we’re eagerly anticipating.

Words cannot begin to describe how excited I am for the release of The Fall: Book Two of the Strain Trilogy! I’m a long-time fan of horror fiction, especially books involving vampires.  In years past, thanks to the lovely Twilight craze, my faith in vampire fiction has dwindled.  Until I read The Strain, the first in a new trilogy by the very talented Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan.  My faith was instantly resurrected!  The Strain was about REAL vampires…not the ones that sparkle!  Therefore, it shouldn’t surprise you that I’m anxiously anticipating the release of the second book in the trilogy, The Fall.

Here’s a quick synopsis:

The second in the New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with The Strain-about an invasion of vampires-by one of Hollywood’s most popular and imaginative storytellers, the creator of the Oscar-winning Pan’s Labyrinth.

The vampiric virus unleashed in The Strain has taken over New York City. It is spreading across the country and soon, the world. Amid the chaos, Eph Goodweather, head of the CDC’s team and one of a small group who have banded together to fight the bloodthirsty monsters that roam the streets, finally manages to identify the parasite that causes the infection. But it may be too late.

Ignited by the Master’s horrific plan, a war erupts between Old and New World Vampires, each side vying for control of the planet. As the virus continues to plague the land, humans find themselves caught in the middle of the conflict . . . and at the bottom of the food chain. They are no longer the consumers, but the consumed.

At the same time, the battle finds its way inside Eph’s own home: his ex-wife, Kelly, who was turned by the Master, has her sights fixed on Zack, Eph’s son.

With the future of the world in the balance, Eph and his team of fighters must use all their skills and Holocaust survivor and former professor Abraham Setrakian’s intimate knowledge of the enemy to combat a terror whose ultimate plan is more terrible than the humans at first imagined-a fate worse than annihilation.

I cannot wait to get this precious book in my hands! The Fall is scheduled for release on September 21 by William Morrow.

12 Comments to "Waiting on Wednesday: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro, Chuck Hogan"

1. June 16, 2010 - 8:47 AM | Permalink

I hope it goes beyond your expectations!

2. June 16, 2010 - 9:31 AM | Permalink

Lots to want about this book. Sound tremendous.

3. Colleen's Gravatar Colleen
    Twitter: Lavender_Lines
    June 16, 2010 - 9:40 AM | Permalink

There aren’t many books that make me drool, but this is definitely one of them. The Strain was one of my top reads of last year. So glad that vampires are getting their bite back!

4. June 16, 2010 - 9:57 AM | Permalink

I love that you wrote REAL vampires, lol

My WOW

5. Trisha's Gravatar Trisha
    Twitter: Trish422
    June 16, 2010 - 10:03 AM | Permalink

I’ve had The Strain on my wish list for quite some time. I’ll have to move it up the to buy list!

6. June 16, 2010 - 11:33 AM | Permalink

I have The Strain at home but haven’t read it yet which is torturing me. I’m dying to get to it! I also want The Fall. Great pick. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

7. Laurel-Rain Snow's Gravatar Laurel-Rain Snow
    Twitter: laurelrainsnow
    June 16, 2010 - 11:45 AM | Permalink

This does sound a bit better than some of the common ones…

Here’s my WOW:

8. Crystal F's Gravatar Crystal F
    Twitter: cfulcher
    June 16, 2010 - 11:49 AM | Permalink

I haven’t read The Strain yet, but it is on the top of my library list. Great pick. Mine is here: http://myreadingroom-crystal.blogspot.com/2010/06/waiting-on-wednesday-june-16.html

9. Serena's Gravatar Serena
    Twitter: SavvyVerseWit
    June 16, 2010 - 3:55 PM | Permalink

I still haven’t read The Strain, but I would love to read this series…including the new one.

10. June 16, 2010 - 11:54 PM | Permalink

I’ve read The Strain, and ‘though it wasn’t one of my favorite reads, I did enjoy it. I only felt it took too long to build and then ended promising.

But that’s why I’ve been waiting for news about this book.

Thank you very much, Jenn. I’ll be following closely!

11. Rabid's Gravatar Rabid
    Twitter: wagthefox
    June 17, 2010 - 1:20 PM | Permalink

I thought The Strain was pretty good, though it didn’t rock my socks like I’d hoped. I’ll still be checking out this sequel when I get a chance, though.

12. Debbie's World of Books's Gravatar Debbie's World of Books
    Twitter: debworldofbooks
    June 17, 2010 - 6:46 PM | Permalink

I can’t wait for this one too! I’m hoping it’s as good as The Strain.