Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  St. Patty’s Day has to be one of my favorite holidays. Don’t let my red hair fool you, though.  I’m less than 5% Irish! However,  I lived outside of Chicago for several years, and Chicago does St. Patrick’s Day BIG!  The Chicago River is dyed green (not too far from its orginal color!) and a pretty amazing parade occurs every year.

Tonight we’ll be having an authentic Irish-American dinner, complete with corned beef, cabbage & potatoes.  For dessert we’ll have shamrock cookies and green jello!

Tonight my boys & I will be reading Magic Tree House #43: Leprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope Osborne. Do you have a favorite St. Patrick’s Day book, or book by an Irish author?  Do you do anything particular for St. Patrick’s Day, or is it just another day for you?

14 Comments to "Happy St. Patrick’s Day!"

1. March 17, 2010 - 9:21 AM | Permalink

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you too! I’ve never been anywhere that had a big celebration. It will be just another day for me.

2. March 17, 2010 - 9:37 AM | Permalink

Its just another day here for us. We are all wearing a green shirt. Sunday was the ST Patricks parade but we didn’t go because it was pouring the whole day.

Hmm your dinner sounds good. Hmm wonder if I can get a flight down in time? LOL

3. March 17, 2010 - 11:40 AM | Permalink

I’m trying a new recipe tonight–a St. Patrick’s Linguine! It’s got the corned beef and cabbagebut it’s also got linguine and cream sauce. Not to authentic but I think I’ll made some Irish soda bread to go with it. My kids are partially Irish so they do think we should try to do something right!

4. March 17, 2010 - 1:52 PM | Permalink

No plans for St. Patrick Day. We did read S is for Shamrock last night, though.

5. March 17, 2010 - 2:52 PM | Permalink

Great ideas to celebrate! We used to go to an Irish bar and have green beer, but that was way back in the day before we had kids. Now, it’s a quiet night at home, and just wear something green :)

6. Freda's Gravatar Freda
    March 17, 2010 - 3:03 PM | Permalink

Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

7. Judy Schu's Gravatar Judy Schu
    March 17, 2010 - 3:19 PM | Permalink

Jennifer,
    I would guess you are less than 20% Irish…but more than 5% Both of my parents have some Irish in their family trees.

8. Sheila DeChantal's Gravatar Sheila DeChantal
    Twitter: bookjourney
    March 17, 2010 - 7:11 PM | Permalink

I am around 40% Irish but no, I don’t do anything….. I wore green today that’s about it. Its never really been a big deal to me…. I think years ago my hubby and I went out with friends when it fell on a weekend but that’s about it. :)

9. April 12, 2013 - 4:04 PM | Permalink

Hello would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog
    in 3 different internet browsers and I must say
    this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting
    provider at a fair price? Thanks, I appreciate