Waiting on Wednesday: The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard

47917198

A few years ago, before my blogging days, I had the pleasure of reading Nancy Pickard’s The Virgin of Small Plains. I feel in love with the author’s writing immediately.  When I read that she’s releasing another book I couldn’t help but be excited!

Here’s the publisher’s description of the book:

One beautiful summer afternoon, from her bedroom window on the second floor, Jody Linder is unnerved to see her three uncles parking their pickups in front of her parents’ house—or what she calls her parents’ house, even though Jay and Laurie Jo Linder have been gone almost all of Jody’s life. “What is this fearsome thing I see?” the young high school English teacher whispers, mimicking Shakespeare. Polished boots, pressed jeans, fresh white shirts, Stetsons—her uncles’ suspiciously clean visiting clothes are a disturbing sign.

The three bring shocking news: The man convicted of murdering Jody’s father is being released from prison and returning to the small town of Rose, Kansas. It has been twenty-six years since that stormy night when, as baby Jody lay asleep in her crib, her father was shot and killed and her mother disappeared, presumed dead. Neither the protective embrace of Jody’s uncles nor the safe haven of her grandparents’ ranch could erase the pain caused by Billy Crosby on that catastrophic night.

Now Billy Crosby has been granted a new trial, thanks in large part to the efforts of his son, Collin, a lawyer who has spent most of his life trying to prove his father’s innocence. As Jody lives only a few doors down from the Crosbys, she knows that sooner or later she’ll come face-to-face with the man who she believes destroyed her family.

What she doesn’t expect are the heated exchanges with Collin. Having grown up practically side by side in this very small town, Jody and Collin have had a long history of carefully avoiding each other’s eyes. Now Jody discovers that underneath their antagonism is a shared sense of loss that no one else could possibly understand. As she revisits old wounds, startling revelations compel her to uncover the dangerous truth about her family’s tragic past.

Engrossing, lyrical, and suspenseful, The Scent of Rain and Lightning captures the essence of small-town America—its heartfelt intimacy and its darkest secrets—where through struggle and hardship people still dare to hope for a better future. For Jody Linder, maybe even love.

Doesn’t it sound fabulous? Coming from a relatively small-town myself, I enjoy reading novels that focus on the intricacies of small-town life.   Luckily, I don’t have to wait long for this one.  The Scent of Rain and Lightning  will be released on April 6.

14 Comments to "Waiting on Wednesday: The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard"

1. Kay's Gravatar Kay
    February 17, 2010 - 9:33 AM | Permalink

I’m looking forward to this one as well, Jenn. I’ve read some of Nancy Pickard’s mystery series, but I loved Virgin of Small Plains. This book seems to be in the same vein. Can’t wait to see what it is like. Thanks for highlighting it.

2. Nicole's Gravatar Nicole
    Twitter: nicoleboniagmail.com
    February 17, 2010 - 10:22 AM | Permalink

I have heard that The Virgin of Small Plains is good and now she has another ut! I was just saying last night on the show that I don’t really keep track of what’s coming up but I need to start reading some catalogues.

3. Rhoni at CKYBooks's Gravatar Rhoni at CKYBooks
    Twitter: ckybooks
    February 17, 2010 - 10:34 AM | Permalink

Ohhhh just the description gave me chills! That’s going on my TBR list. Thanks for the heads up.

4. nomadreader's Gravatar nomadreader
    Twitter: nomadreader
    February 17, 2010 - 12:22 PM | Permalink

I read The Virgin of Small Plains because it’s set in my native Kansas, and that is a rarity. I loved the book, and I’m eagerly awaiting this one too!

5. February 17, 2010 - 1:22 PM | Permalink

The Virgin of Small Plains has been on my to-read list forever. I need to pcik it up, and this one sounds great, too.

6. February 17, 2010 - 1:51 PM | Permalink

Oooh! I need this read this one too – I really liked THE VIRGIN OF SMALL PLAINS!

7. February 17, 2010 - 1:53 PM | Permalink

Is it bad that I have not read Nancy Pickard? After reading this description and how excited you are about it I certainly feel a little silly. Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m excited to have found your site! I love books…everything about them. It’s great to have some fresh new purchase options!

8. February 17, 2010 - 2:50 PM | Permalink

That does sound fabulous and I love the cover too!

9. Jennifer (Crazy-for-Books)'s Gravatar Jennifer (Crazy-for-Books)
    Twitter: Crazybookblog
    February 17, 2010 - 3:44 PM | Permalink

This book is on my wish list also! I almost used it for WOW, but ended up picking something else! :) My WOW pick is here:

10. Dawn - she is too fond of books's Gravatar Dawn - she is too fond of books
    Twitter: toofondofbooks
    February 17, 2010 - 5:18 PM | Permalink

Ooh! I haven’t read Nancy Pickard’s first book, but I love the description of this one (and the title … and the cover illustration). I’ll be waiting for it, too.

11. March 17, 2010 - 12:04 PM | Permalink

Oh I just read this to review for BookPage! It’s pretty fabulous!

12. June 22, 2010 - 9:42 PM | Permalink

This is the book I’m giving away on my blog! A signed copy of The Scent of Rain and Lightning, by Nancy Pickard

rebecca-hamilton.com/?p=415